Monday, March 31, 2014

Scorched Earth

It still amazes me the number of attorneys who litigate cases in the "scorched earth" mentality (i.e be as absolutely disagreeable as possible for no reason).  The business of law is hard enough as it is.  As attorneys, especially in family law, the truth of almost all cases lies somewhere in the middle.  Once this is realized, practicing family law becomes much easier.  This has even lead to some of the opposing counsel on the nastiest cases I have ever had, to become some of my close friends. 

Unfortunately, I see many cases where the attorneys get so wrapped up in proving they are "right", that the outer limits of the ethics rules are pushed in my opinion.  Civil cases are meant to be handled in a civil manner.  Once more people start doing this, only then will the public opinion of attorneys change.  In court as the saying goes, strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment