Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Fair Labor Standards Act

Recently, I have been dealing with a lot of Fair Labor Standards Act issues on cases.  With the economy like it is, many employers try to get around paying their covered employees time and a half for every hour worked over forty (40) in a week.  This is often done blatantly in some instances and negligently in others by not properly classifying workers.  This is a regular speech I have to give to my small business clients.  I have started asking questions about this in my personal injury cases and family law cases too.  I have noticed that many times people have no clue they are due this additional money and believe because they are on salary this automatically exempts this.  It does not and is often an area to be explored since part of the FLSA is a mandatory award of attorney's fees if successful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment